Friday, June 03, 2005

More Mystery Hands

I'm pleased to have solved the first Mystery Hands that I've mentioned here, but they aren't the only ones in my collection.

I'm particularly intrigued by this picture, which graces the cover of my paperback copy of 500 Jahre Rosenkranz, the catalog of the 1975 exhibition in Köln (Cologne) celebrating the 500th anniversary of the rosary.

500-Jahre

I can plod, but not skim, through a passage written in German: well enough to translate (with considerable help from a dictionary) a passage that looks interesting, but not well enough to spot a brief note on a specific subject. So if there's a mention in this book somewhere of the source of this cover image, I can't find it. I've looked in a few obvious places like the back of the title page, but with no success so far.

I'm especially intrigued by this image because I was once guilty of asserting that the combination of coral beads with rock-crystal marker beads was "common," and when challenged, I found that I couldn't come up with a good solid example. So I'd love to know who this is, who painted her (at least this certainly looks like a woman to me!), when and where.

Enlightenment welcome :)

Labels: ,